Thursday 1 August 2019

From My Diary - Choices I made ~ #4

In this series I am sharing the choices I made as far as my professional life goes.

Why I took up my 1st job at the age of 17 is answered in my earlier post  "From My Diary - Choices I made ~ #1 and then why I moved on to my 2nd one and why I left that can be read here >>. "From My Diary - Choices I made ~ #2 

My journey onto becoming Self-employed could be read here "From My Diary - The Choices I made ~ #3"

Yes, I did stop working as an LIC agent but that did not mean I left all my clients. I just up-scaled my scope of work.

How??? please continue reading to find out.

As I already mentioned in my earlier post I constantly learned and upgraded myself, so as I progressed on my journey as an agent, I realized that I now have gained enough knowledge of the financial products that I was offering that it's time to become a Fee based adviser rather than selling.

By this time (2007) I have had a client base of over 900 plus. Moving onto fee based advisory meant letting go some :(

But then I knew this was necessary if I want to take up Fee based advisory model. The choice was made so the next step was to meet all the existing clients and convey to them what I wished to do and how it will help them, should they continue with me as their adviser.

Most of the clients refused to continue since they could not digest the idea of paying fees for financial advisory service. I merrily let them go with a promise that even if I won't advise them going forward but then since they already were my client for whatever product they bought from me earlier, I will continue to offer servicing for them.

Now was the time to devise strategy for my new role as a Fee based adviser.  I worked out a strategy based on my working experience in financial service sector and the kind of income I was looking to generate.

It came down to having 96 clients max in my portfolio and that's it, I will be good :)

Since some of my existing clients accepted me in my new role, it was not difficult to gather more, as they offered references and thus the work was getting better for me.

Just the way I did annual review for my clients, I did my annual review and realized that managing 96 clients will be difficult so I reworked on my strategy and brought down my target number of clients to 72.

It was 2009 and I was doing pretty okay, I had already had about 55 clients  and the way  things were going in another two years or so I would have had another seventeen clients, and that was my target.
But life had something else in store to offer me, and things changed, this time it was something which I had never imagined or ever dreamed of.

What happened, that change the course of my life? What did I do? What choices I made then? To find out, stay tuned for my next blog-post of the series "From My Diary - The Choices I Made"

Have you read my earlier posts on this series? Is there something you wish to share with me or want to ask? I will answer to your email that is for sure, write to me at "nilesharma@gmail.com"

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading my post.

Stay Happy :)

2 comments:

  1. I am very Impressed to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing. Keep posting again
    Car Service in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts. It means a lot to me. I never expected anyone would care to read it, but your kind words made my day. Thank you so much.

      Delete

Hi,

Thank you for your interest and comment. Look forward to see you here again.

~ Nilesh Sharma @ Student of Life ~

Celebrations :)

Yesss, this is my moment of glory. My first 50 followers here on this blogging platform. Never scored that much ever in cricket :) Thr...